May 2, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Ana Beatriz is the third of the Brazilians in the field at this weekend’s IndyCar race in Sao Paulo, after Helio Castroneves and Tony Kanaan. In what has been a stop-start career, “Bia” has more experience at Sao Paulo than any other track on the calendar except Indianapolis, as she has been in all three prior races on this street circuit.
Beatriz avoided trouble in the rain-drenched 2010 race, advancing from 22nd to 13th by the finish in her IndyCar debut. That run in an extra Dreyer & Reinbold car helped provide her the opportunity to race in the Indianapolis 500 later that year.
A year later, things got worse, with a forgettable 25th place qualifying effort and retiring due to gearbox failure.
Andretti Autosport fielded an extra car for her a year ago in partnership with Eric Bachelart’s Conquest squad, and after having only one day in testing in the new Dallara DW12, Beatriz qualified a respectable 19th and ended 20th.
Beatriz has had the toughest start to the season of any driver this year, with the second Dale Coyne Racing entry. The team’s setup has not yet been dialed in, although some minor strides were made at Long Beach.
Keeping the car in one piece ahead of the month of May at Indianapolis will be the best result for “Bia,” who some feel is a much better driver than her IndyCar career results would indicate.
Coyne expands to three cars for Indianapolis with Pippa Mann’s announcement earlier this week, marking the first time the team has done so since 1999 (Michel Jourdain Jr., Gualter Salles and Luiz Garcia Jr. at the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach).
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 0
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 36
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0
- Bell: “Carb Day is many things to many people; mine was many jobs” 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 1
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0