May 2, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Felipe Massa is looking forward to the Spanish Grand Prix in two weeks’ time, believing that it is the circuit which both he and Ferrari know best.
“I really like going to Spain,” Massa explained in a team statement. “I’ve always liked both the feel of Barcelona itself and the atmosphere at the track during the race weekend.”
The race, just outside Barcelona, is one where Ferrari will not be short of fans as home favorite Fernando Alonso proves to be a hit with his compatriots, and the Spaniard has won once before at the Circuit de Catalunya. Teammate Massa also has good memories from the race.
“My best memory from Barcelona came in 2007 when I won the race: it was a great victory in front of a fantastic crowd.”
Besides his victory, the track is one that Massa knows well.
“The Circuit de Catalunya is the track that we know best thanks to all the tests that we do there at the start of the year: it’s a complex, technical track where it’s important to have good aerodynamic downforce.
“Obviously I was not happy with my last race in Bahrain and so I hope to be able to get back to fighting for the top places next weekend.”
Massa will be looking to bounce back from his misfortune in Bahrain, and with a good track record in Spain, the Brazilian driver will be hoping to get his European season underway in the best possible fashion.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6