May 2, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Christian Horner has spoken out to hush any rumors that Helmut Marko’s control at Red Bull is growing beyond that of the team principal.
In the past few seasons, Marko has acted as an advisor to the team, and he has made his affinity to Sebastian Vettel clear amid the disputes at Red Bull. Following the latest “multi 21″ fiasco, many believed that Marko’s influence at the team was becoming too great, but Horner has been quick to silence these critics.
“I have full responsibility for the operation of the team; trackside and in the factory,” Horner explained to Autosport.
“Helmut has responsibilities elsewhere with the young-driver programme but he has no operational responsibility or input into how we operate as a racing team. He’s an advisor to Dietrich [Mateschitz], and he’s obviously an experienced hand.”
Marko has played a big part in triple-champion Vettel’s rise through the ranks of motorsport, and he now appears to be tasked with finding Mark Webber’s replacement.
In turn, this allows Horner to focus on retaining both of Red Bull’s titles.
“Part of his role is that within the Red Bull corporate world, now that it’s such a large company, he has enabled Red Bull Racing to retain its independence. That allows me to operate with the freedom to manage the business and manage the team how I see fit.”
Whilst Red Bull may be leading both championships once again, the internal stability of the team appears to be uneasy following the turn of events in Malaysia. Marko’s outspoken nature makes him a difficult personality to control, but there is no denying that he has helped to turn Vettel into an all-time great of Formula One.
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0