May 2, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Sergio Perez is enjoying a bit of time out following a stressful start to the 2013 Formula One season, and the return to Europe at the Spanish Grand Prix has come at the right time for the McLaren driver.
“After the first four flyaways, there’s a bit of a natural break – like it’s time for everyone to reset and start a new season in Europe,” Perez said in an interview with McLaren.
“It always feels exciting returning to Europe – almost like the start of the season again! But it’s also good that there’s a three-week break between Bahrain and Barcelona. That’s a good time to relax because there’s been a lot of travel for the last ten weeks.”
Although the break does give Checo a chance to relax, he will be hoping to keep the momentum from the Bahrain Grand Prix going, where he finished an excellent P6 after a feisty drive.
“We spend huge amounts of time in airports, so it is nice to finally get some time to myself – I’ll be training throughout the whole time, but I’ll also be seeing friends and family. Hopefully, I can get to watch some football, too!”
Perez has made a good start to his McLaren career, and his likable nature has made him a hit with the fans. Relying the team can bring the required upgrades to the Spanish GP, he could challenge teammate Jenson Button once again upon F1’s return to Europe.
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 0
- Indy 500 refresher running, RoP gets underway today at IMS 0
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 2
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 4