May 2, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Susie Wolff has admitted her dismay at many comments which have already written off her upcoming Formula One test, calling them “incredible.”
The British driver is poised to represent Williams in the Young Driver Test at Silverstone in July, and she is baffled by those that believe she will not live up to expectations.
“There’s many people who think it’s going to be embarrassing for me to drive on a young driver day because I’m going to be so far off the pace,” Wolff told Reuters.
“For me, it’s incredible to hear such comments. I wouldn’t be doing aero tests if I hadn’t shown some kind of capability.”
Wolff raced in the German touring car series, DTM, for seven seasons, and has also completed straight-line tests for Williams in the past.
“People forget we’ve been racing at a high level for a long time. Its not like you are just plucked from obscurity and told ‘drive the F1 car’.”
Further to this, Wolff has suggested that if Williams opt to change their mind, and not let her run in the Young Driver Test, she would assess her own role with the team.
“If it doesn’t happen, then I’m wasting my time. It’s all for nothing. It’s got to happen. I am the development driver, so it cannot be that a young driver test comes and you don’t put your development driver in. But you never know, so let’s see.”
The movement for a female driver in modern-day Formula One is certainly gathering steam, and Wolff appears to be leading the charge in the face of comments from figures such as Sir Stirling Moss, who recently said that women lack the “mental aptitude” to race.
Video from NASCAR America
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4