May 2, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
Marussia technical director Pat Symonds has suggested that a deal with Ferrari is close, with the Italian marque keen on supplying more teams with engines in 2014.
The backmarkers have made a good start to the 2013 season, with its charge led by Ferrari Driver Academy member Jules Bianchi. This tie-in appears to have made an engine agreement more possible, although Symonds admitted that Marussia are considering every possible option.
“Both Ferrari and Mercedes have been very positive with us,” Symonds told Sky Sports. “I say it’s near, because if it’s not then we’re not going to have a car. My original target for getting a 2014 engine deal was the end of May.
“But it was the end of May 2012. So we are behind where we want to be.”
Symonds also revealed that Renault had shot down a possible partnership, citing that they were already supplying enough teams.
“Renault have made it clear they’ve got enough on their plate.”
He also said that Bianchi’s efforts with the team have aided negotiations.
“It absolutely hasn’t done us any harm, it’s brought us a little bit closer to Ferrari. I think that they wanted another team anyway and the contact through Jules has done nothing but help.”
Marussia’s start to the season has certainly been impressive, although the gap to Caterham in Bahrain will have been cause for concern. However, with Ferrari power looking likely for next season, the future could be very bright for the Anglo-Russian team indeed.
Video from NASCAR America
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 3
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1