May 3, 2013, 10:01 PM EST
Team Penske’s Will Power is taking a year-long winless streak into this weekend’s IZOD IndyCar Series race at Sao Paulo, but championship leader Helio Castroneves isn’t about to discount his Australian teammate’s chances of rallying for a big win before the all-important Indianapolis 500.
“There’s been a lot of competition this year, even more than in the past, so it’s hard to say there’s a favorite for Sunday’s race,” Castroneves said at a pre-event press conference according to the Associated Press’ Tales Azzoni. “But you can’t avoid talking about my teammate as the top contender; there’s no doubt he has been really successful here in the past.”
Ain’t that the truth. Power has claimed all three editions of the Sao Paulo Indy 300 at Anhembi Park and last year, he won from pole last while leading the most laps (63 of 75). Even with his shaky start to 2013, he’s definitely still a contender at this track.
But Castroneves appears poised to be the one that can finally dust Power in Brazil. He’s one of just three drivers in the series to post Top 10 runs in all three races (the others being Marco Andretti and Justin Wilson) this season, and jumped 14 positions to finish fourth last year in Sao Paulo.
“I hadn’t even realized at first but this has been my best start to a season ever,” said Castroneves. “I made a mistake in the first race — I should have won that one. But we have been really consistent.”
Consistency aside, a victory in his hometown of Sao Paulo would put him in solid position to become the fourth four-time winner of the Indy 500 later on this month.
Video from NASCAR America
- Ferrari chairman expects another tough season in 2015 0
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 3
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4