May 3, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton is looking forward to next weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix, seeing the race as the perfect marker of how Mercedes has progressed so far this season.
The British driver currently lies 3rd in the drivers’ championship, having already outscored Michael Schumacher’s total for Mercedes in 2012, and he is hoping to build upon this good start when Formula One returns to Europe.
“Barcelona should be a good test as we know the circuit so well having completed most of the pre-season test programme there,” Hamilton said in a team statement.
“The weekend should be a good benchmark of the progress we have made since then.”
Mercedes started the season with rather modest aspirations, aiming to finish in the points, but they have scored two pole positions and two podiums and currently lie 4th in the constructors’ championship. Hamilton is pleased to have got to grips with the new car so quickly.
“We’ve been boosted by the results that we’ve had at the start of the season and to come away from the first four races with two third and two fifth places feels like a real achievement.”
Hamilton was also looking forward to getting back in the car after the three week break.
“It feels like a long time since Bahrain so we’re all looking forward to getting to Barcelona next weekend and starting to get into the routine of the European season.”
The team has certainly made an impressive start to the 2013 season in light of their comments during the winter break, but Hamilton’s fighting spirit means that he will not settle for anything less than a victory during his first year with Mercedes.
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6