May 3, 2013, 7:03 PM EDT
Kurt Busch will test an IndyCar for Andretti Autosport, two days before opening practice at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Whether the test is a mere PR one-off or a sign of things to come – AJ Allmendinger has added IndyCar back to his plate this year after a seven-year hiatus – remains to be seen.
Busch was invited to test Ryan Hunter-Reay’s No. 1 DHL/Sun Drop Chevrolet, and may potentially have interest in doing the Memorial Day double of the Indianapolis 500 and Coca-Cola 600 in Charlotte down the road.
“I have always enjoyed racing at Indianapolis, and when IMS and Michael presented me with the opportunity to test an Indy car prior to opening day of practice of the Indianapolis 500, I jumped at it,” Busch said in a statement. “The Indianapolis 500 is an iconic event and having an opportunity to go through the testing process with Michael and Andretti Autosport, the defending series champions and two-time winners of the race, is pretty cool.”
Busch’s NASCAR career has taken a hit in the last couple years, after losing his ride at Penske Racing and driving first for Phoenix Racing and now Furniture Row Racing on the Sprint Cup side of things.
But he is versatile, having also driven an NHRA Pro Stock car and also tested a Champ Car for Bobby Rahal’s team in 2003.
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
- IndyCar: Will high grip and high tempers equal high drama at Barber? 2
- NHRA drag racing superstar John Force goes on vacation — at a dragstrip, of course 0
- Swan Racing restructures, splits up two-car Sprint Cup operation 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)