May 3, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Michael Waltrip serves many roles in the NASCAR community: broadcaster, team owner, and this week, restrictor-plate driving specialist at Talladega.
He also admits “Talladega Nights” – the Will Ferrell NASCAR comedy from 2006 – is the best racing-related movie he’s seen.
“No doubt,” he told USA Today Sports’ Jeff Gluck. “To me, all the rest of them don’t capture what it’s all about. ‘Talladega Nights’ wasn’t trying to do that – it was just a comedy that’s hilarious, based on NASCAR. If you can’t laugh at yourself, then I think you’ve probably got some issues. I love laughing at myself and I love that movie.”
“Talladega Nights” made an actual on-track appearance in last year’s spring Talladega race. Kurt Busch and Phoenix Racing were able to run a livery similar to how Ferrell, or Ricky Bobby’s, appeared at the end of the movie.
Waltrip’s driving schedule has been reduced to just Daytona and Talladega, but that’s just as well given his other commitments. He still considers himself “great” at those two tracks – where he took all four career wins (three Daytona, one Talladega) – and merely “good” everywhere else.
This week, he’ll drive an Alabama Crimson Tide paint scheme on his No. 55 Aaron’s Toyota. Mark Martin has the week off, and Brian Vickers will be on standby for Denny Hamlin after Hamlin starts the race.
Waltrip has also dabbled in sports car racing with Michael Waltrip Racing co-owner and business partner Rob Kauffman. Waltrip raced in the 2011 24 Hours of Le Mans, and finished in the top 10 of the GT class in a Ferrari 458 at this year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona.
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 4
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 13
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 6
- Ten with Townsend: Milwaukee and Iowa debrief 0
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 3
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 4