May 3, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Michael Waltrip serves many roles in the NASCAR community: broadcaster, team owner, and this week, restrictor-plate driving specialist at Talladega.
He also admits “Talladega Nights” – the Will Ferrell NASCAR comedy from 2006 – is the best racing-related movie he’s seen.
“No doubt,” he told USA Today Sports’ Jeff Gluck. “To me, all the rest of them don’t capture what it’s all about. ‘Talladega Nights’ wasn’t trying to do that – it was just a comedy that’s hilarious, based on NASCAR. If you can’t laugh at yourself, then I think you’ve probably got some issues. I love laughing at myself and I love that movie.”
“Talladega Nights” made an actual on-track appearance in last year’s spring Talladega race. Kurt Busch and Phoenix Racing were able to run a livery similar to how Ferrell, or Ricky Bobby’s, appeared at the end of the movie.
Waltrip’s driving schedule has been reduced to just Daytona and Talladega, but that’s just as well given his other commitments. He still considers himself “great” at those two tracks – where he took all four career wins (three Daytona, one Talladega) – and merely “good” everywhere else.
This week, he’ll drive an Alabama Crimson Tide paint scheme on his No. 55 Aaron’s Toyota. Mark Martin has the week off, and Brian Vickers will be on standby for Denny Hamlin after Hamlin starts the race.
Waltrip has also dabbled in sports car racing with Michael Waltrip Racing co-owner and business partner Rob Kauffman. Waltrip raced in the 2011 24 Hours of Le Mans, and finished in the top 10 of the GT class in a Ferrari 458 at this year’s Rolex 24 at Daytona.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)