May 3, 2013, 10:34 PM EDT
A report from SPEED.com says that NBC Sports Network analyst Townsend Bell (pictured) and 2004 Indianapolis 500 winner Buddy Rice have both landed rides for this year’s edition of “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing.”
According to the report, Bell has joined up with Panther Racing for the “500″ after securing sponsorship from Dreamworks’ upcoming Indy 500-themed film “Turbo.” He had appeared set to run in a third car for Sam Schmidt’s team at Indy, but because of Schmidt’s status as a Honda-powered outfit and a pact between Chevrolet and Dreamworks, Bell has instead migrated to a second program at the Bowtie-powered Panther camp alongside J.R. Hildebrand. He finished ninth in last year’s race for Schmidt.
As for Rice, he is expected to be the one to join forces with Schmidt regulars Simon Pagenaud and Tristan Vautier at the Brickyard this year. He last raced at IMS in 2011, finishing 18th for Panther.
Pending official announcements from the two teams, the additions of Bell and Rice to the field will put the car count at the magic number of 33. On that note, the SPEED.com report also mentions possible entries for 1996 Indy winner Buddy Lazier and USAC driver Bryan Clauson, who would be aiming for a second “500″ start after driving for Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing in last year’s event.
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 0
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)