May 3, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
Facing a drop in ticket sales for the upcoming British Grand Prix in June, officials from Silverstone are hoping for an uptick as the race draws closer and believe that improved results from British racers Lewis Hamilton (pictured) and Jenson Button will help in that regard.
“If Lewis and Jenson start winning from Barcelona – and we all know McLaren can turn around their car – that makes a massive difference for us,” British Racing Drivers’ Club president Derek Warwick told Britain’s The Independent this week. “That’s the hope for us.”
Hamilton has had a decent transition to Mercedes so far and sits third in the driver’s championship with a pole and two podiums to his credit. However, the team hasn’t quite achieved the race pace necessary to challenge the front runners with regularity. Button has had more of a struggle with McLaren, as the Woking group prepares to release a wave of upgrades to its MP4-28 to try and help him and teammate Sergio Perez find the front.
As for Silverstone managing director Richard Phillips, he believes the slower pace of ticket sales for the British GP stems from the public being skittish after torrential rains plagued the event last year — not to mention the current success of a certain German.
“With F1, we’ve a combination of what happened last year with the weather, and probably – controversially – you’ve [Sebastian] Vettel doing a little too consistently well for us,” he told The Independent. “So ticket sales are not as good as they were last year.
“They are not drastic, but they are down a bit, and we could do with some help.”
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1