May 3, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
Facing a drop in ticket sales for the upcoming British Grand Prix in June, officials from Silverstone are hoping for an uptick as the race draws closer and believe that improved results from British racers Lewis Hamilton (pictured) and Jenson Button will help in that regard.
“If Lewis and Jenson start winning from Barcelona – and we all know McLaren can turn around their car – that makes a massive difference for us,” British Racing Drivers’ Club president Derek Warwick told Britain’s The Independent this week. “That’s the hope for us.”
Hamilton has had a decent transition to Mercedes so far and sits third in the driver’s championship with a pole and two podiums to his credit. However, the team hasn’t quite achieved the race pace necessary to challenge the front runners with regularity. Button has had more of a struggle with McLaren, as the Woking group prepares to release a wave of upgrades to its MP4-28 to try and help him and teammate Sergio Perez find the front.
As for Silverstone managing director Richard Phillips, he believes the slower pace of ticket sales for the British GP stems from the public being skittish after torrential rains plagued the event last year — not to mention the current success of a certain German.
“With F1, we’ve a combination of what happened last year with the weather, and probably – controversially – you’ve [Sebastian] Vettel doing a little too consistently well for us,” he told The Independent. “So ticket sales are not as good as they were last year.
“They are not drastic, but they are down a bit, and we could do with some help.”
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1