May 3, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
Facing a drop in ticket sales for the upcoming British Grand Prix in June, officials from Silverstone are hoping for an uptick as the race draws closer and believe that improved results from British racers Lewis Hamilton (pictured) and Jenson Button will help in that regard.
“If Lewis and Jenson start winning from Barcelona – and we all know McLaren can turn around their car – that makes a massive difference for us,” British Racing Drivers’ Club president Derek Warwick told Britain’s The Independent this week. “That’s the hope for us.”
Hamilton has had a decent transition to Mercedes so far and sits third in the driver’s championship with a pole and two podiums to his credit. However, the team hasn’t quite achieved the race pace necessary to challenge the front runners with regularity. Button has had more of a struggle with McLaren, as the Woking group prepares to release a wave of upgrades to its MP4-28 to try and help him and teammate Sergio Perez find the front.
As for Silverstone managing director Richard Phillips, he believes the slower pace of ticket sales for the British GP stems from the public being skittish after torrential rains plagued the event last year — not to mention the current success of a certain German.
“With F1, we’ve a combination of what happened last year with the weather, and probably – controversially – you’ve [Sebastian] Vettel doing a little too consistently well for us,” he told The Independent. “So ticket sales are not as good as they were last year.
“They are not drastic, but they are down a bit, and we could do with some help.”
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 9
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1