May 4, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Two weeks after an affair to forget in Long Beach, the Andretti Autosport squad is aiming high once again after Ryan Hunter-Reay and E.J. Viso claimed the front row for tomorrow’s Sao Paulo Indy 300 (11 a.m. ET, NBC Sports Network/NBC Sports Live Extra).
Hunter-Reay set a new track record of 1 minute, 20.43 seconds around the 2.5-mile Anhembi Park street circuit en route to his second pole of 2013. Considering Sao Paulo’s reputation for trouble, the driver of the No. 1 DHL/Sun Drop Chevrolet is happy that he’ll be clear of potential chaos at the green flag. But after struggling mightily last time out, he knows that nothing is a given.
“We thought we had a good car at Long Beach, and once we got into the race, I knew we were challenged and would be for the rest of the day,” said Hunter-Reay. “We need to make sure we’ve fixed those things this time and go out and have a great race.”
As for Viso, he said that he was not surprised by how well he was able to perform in qualifying considering the track record of the team he joined this past off-season.
“The beginning was very tough, but we knew we could do it,” the Venezuelan said. “In every single race, we’ve shown we had the pace. We did the fastest lap last week. [At] St. Pete, we passed 16 cars in the race. I knew and I know that very good results are ahead.
“I just feel that now everything is starting to click in my career. I’m very happy to be just with a team that is as dedicated as this one.”
Needing a good result this weekend in Brazil, James Hinchcliffe also came through for the Andretti squad with a P5 effort in the Firestone Fast Six. Meanwhile, Marco Andretti didn’t make the final round of qualifying but isn’t too far from the front either; he’ll start 10th tomorrow as he looks to continue his steady beginning to the season.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)