May 4, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Max Chilton is preparing for a busy Spanish Grand Prix weekend at the Circuit de Catalunya as he looks for a change in fortune following a quiet start to his F1 career.
The Marussia driver has found himself battling with Caterham’s Giedo van der Garde for the last classified position so far this season, but he is hoping that the upgrades brought to the race in Barcelona will aid his cause.
“It will be great to get back down to business in Spain, where there will be a lot to focus our attentions on,” Chilton said in a team statement. “We’ve learned a lot in the first four races and quite a lot since, with the technical team having been hard at it in the break.”
Marussia has made a good start to the season, with French starlet Jules Bianchi turning many heads in the paddock, and Chilton is hopeful that the efforts from the flyaway races will come to the fore in Spain.
“What we bring to the Circuit de Catalunya is the product of four races of evaluation coupled with the next step in our ongoing development path, so it will be interesting to see how we can progress from Bahrain.”
Chilton is also happy to be returning to one of his favorite tracks.
“On a personal level this is a track I enjoy and have raced at plenty of times, and that will also be useful as we work through a busy evaluation programme on Friday in particular. I’m looking forward to it.”
The next few races will be important for Chilton, for he needs to prove that he is capable of battling with teammate Jules Bianchi if he is to be touted as a star for the future.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52