May 4, 2013, 9:30 AM EDT
Sauber’s Esteban Gutierrez believes that tire management will be key at next weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix as he looks to pick up his first points in Formula One.
Gutierrez has recorded a best result of 12th so far this season, but a difficult Bahrain Grand Prix weekend saw him finish behind Caterham’s Charles Pic. However, he is sure of a good result relying the Sauber C32 is easy on its tires.
“As the first of a series of European races, I think it is going to be an exciting event and I’m looking forward to that,” Gutierrez said in a team statement.
“The track is quite demanding, especially the last sector. Tire management will be crucial here, and, especially during a qualifying lap, you need to nurse your tires in the first two sectors in order to get a clean third sector. You must make sure the tires still have good grip when you approach the final corners of the lap, including the chicane.”
The Circuit de Catalunya is a track that Gutierrez knows well after two of the winter tests were held there, and he will be hoping to put this experience to good use.
“The first time I raced in Barcelona was in 2008. I know the track and during the winter tests I was also able to experience driving a F1 car there.”
Gutierrez’s F1 baptism has been rather disappointing, failing to match the form of teammate Nico Hulkenberg. Although the C32 car has its problems, the Mexican driver will need to score some points in the next few races if he is to vindicate Sauber’s decision to take him on for 2013.
Video from NASCAR America
- Brad Keselowski wins pole for Sunday’s Chase race at New Hampshire 0
- F1 Friday Analysis: Is Lewis the man to beat? 0
- Hamilton tops FP2 as night falls in Singapore 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Singapore Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Singapore GP 0
- Michael Waltrip challenges Dale Jr. to go Dancing With The Stars 1
- Report: Why Mark Martin couldn’t be Danica Patrick’s driving coach 6