May 4, 2013, 3:19 PM EST
Andretti Autosport locked down the front row for tomorrow’s Sao Paulo Indy 300, with reigning IZOD IndyCar Series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay winning his second pole of the season by three-tenths of a second over teammate E.J. Viso in the Firestone Fast Six.
Hunter-Reay will look to bounce back from a dismal 24th place result two weeks ago at Long Beach, and his pole in Brazil could be a sign of things to come. In the second round of the season at Barber Motorsports Park, the American racer converted a pole position into a victory.
As for Viso, the P2 effort earns him his best-ever start in the IZOD IndyCar Series, topping his previous best of fourth from 2009 at Long Beach.
Dario Franchitti will look to continue his climb out of an early-season slump from the third starting position and will be in Row 2 alongside crowd favorite Tony Kanaan. A third Andretti Autosport driver, James Hinchcliffe, starts fifth and Franchitti’s Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate, Scott Dixon, goes off sixth.
The Team Penske duo of Helio Castroneves and Will Power were shut out of the Firestone Fast Six after failing to advance out of the first round of qualifying. Both drivers were in the second qualifying group in Round 1 and both were on the outside looking in when an apparent mechanical failure forced James Jakes to stop his No. 16 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Honda on course. The incident brought out a red flag that would end the 10-minute session, and now Castroneves and Power will have to charge from the rear of the field tomorrow.
Also facing tough climbs tomorrow are youngsters Tristan Vautier and Josef Newgarden. In Round 1, rookie pilot Vautier got up and over the curbing at Turn 2, then slammed into the outside wall to cause considerable damage to his No. 55 Schmidt Peterson Hamilton Honda. As for Newgarden, who was second in today’s first practice session, he was unable to qualify for Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing due to an engine change.
IZOD IndyCar Series – Sao Paulo Indy 300
Qualifying position, car number in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, time and speed in parentheses
1. (1) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.4312 (113.508)
2. (5) EJ Viso, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.7380 (113.077)
3. (10) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 01:20.8922 (112.861)
4. (11) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.9812 (112.737)
5. (27) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.9893 (112.726)
6. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 01:21.1183 (112.547)
7. (7) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.8210 (112.961)
8. (78) Simona de Silvestro, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.9390 (112.796)
9. (19) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 01:21.0570 (112.632)
10. (25) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy, 01:21.1716 (112.473)
11. (4) JR Hildebrand, Dallara-Chevy, 01:21.2961 (112.301)
12. (14) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 01:21.3618 (112.210)
13. (22) Oriol Servia, Dallara-Chevy, 01:21.7963 (111.614)
14. (20) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Chevy, 01:24.0203 (108.659)
15. (98) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 01:21.8636 (111.522)
16. (18) Ana Beatriz, Dallara-Honda, 01:24.8864 (107.551)
17. (83) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 01:22.2482 (111.001)
18. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 01:25.1734 (107.188)
19. (15) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 01:22.2998 (110.931)
20. (6) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 04:00.2612 (37.999)
21. (55) Tristan Vautier, Dallara-Honda, 03:20.5417 (45.525)
22. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 04:05.5886 (37.174)
23. (67) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, No Time (No Speed)
24. (77) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 04:23.1097 (34.699)
25. (16) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, No Time (No Speed)
Feb 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EST
Argentinian driver confirms his plans for the new season after a difficult 2014 with Hilmer Motorsport.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
A full round-up from the penultimate day of F1 pre-season testing in Barcelona.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
Frenchman joined the team as a test driver for the 2015 season.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:11 PM EST
Bourdais, Hawksworth, Aldo Andretti and more all have birthdays today, February 28.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:00 PM EST
Despite posting a time that, when adjusted to account for tire compounds, could be 1.4 seconds quicker than the rest of the field, the Briton was unenthused about his performance.
Feb 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
How well does Josef Newgarden dunk? Find out in video he does with Indiana Pacers “Power Pack.”
Feb 28, 2015, 2:30 PM EST
Today was Sainz’s last run in the Toro Rosso before his F1 debut at the Australian Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.
Feb 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
Danish driver reveals he received the call to say he would not be racing in F1 very late, preventing him from securing a drive elsewhere in 2015.
Feb 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EST
Is “Focus” IndyCar-focused? No. Is it cool to have IndyCar as a part of a Will Smith movie? Definitely.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:30 PM EST
Brazilian driver finishes second on day three of the final test in Barcelona, two-tenths of a second behind pace-setter Lewis Hamilton.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
German driver completes 234 laps in just a day and a half in Barcelona as he continues to learn about the VJM08.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:02 PM EST
British driver finishes two-tenths of a second clear of Felipe Massa on the penultimate day of pre-season testing in Barcelona.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Four-time world champion will get his final test run in the new Ferrari on Sunday ahead of his grand prix debut for the team next month.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
We wish Mario Andretti, one of the all-time greats, a happy 75th birthday.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Team founder John Booth is confident that the revived outfit will race in the Australian Grand Prix on March 15.
Feb 27, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
IndyCar drivers hit several race markets for “Focus” premieres.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:30 PM EST
French driver set for a fourth season in GP2 this year with Lazarus.
Feb 27, 2015, 4:00 PM EST
One of California’s more prestigious racing awards has its nominees revealed.
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3
- FIA issues updated F1 entry list including “Manor Marussia” 3