May 4, 2013, 3:19 PM EDT
Andretti Autosport locked down the front row for tomorrow’s Sao Paulo Indy 300, with reigning IZOD IndyCar Series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay winning his second pole of the season by three-tenths of a second over teammate E.J. Viso in the Firestone Fast Six.
Hunter-Reay will look to bounce back from a dismal 24th place result two weeks ago at Long Beach, and his pole in Brazil could be a sign of things to come. In the second round of the season at Barber Motorsports Park, the American racer converted a pole position into a victory.
As for Viso, the P2 effort earns him his best-ever start in the IZOD IndyCar Series, topping his previous best of fourth from 2009 at Long Beach.
Dario Franchitti will look to continue his climb out of an early-season slump from the third starting position and will be in Row 2 alongside crowd favorite Tony Kanaan. A third Andretti Autosport driver, James Hinchcliffe, starts fifth and Franchitti’s Target Chip Ganassi Racing teammate, Scott Dixon, goes off sixth.
The Team Penske duo of Helio Castroneves and Will Power were shut out of the Firestone Fast Six after failing to advance out of the first round of qualifying. Both drivers were in the second qualifying group in Round 1 and both were on the outside looking in when an apparent mechanical failure forced James Jakes to stop his No. 16 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Honda on course. The incident brought out a red flag that would end the 10-minute session, and now Castroneves and Power will have to charge from the rear of the field tomorrow.
Also facing tough climbs tomorrow are youngsters Tristan Vautier and Josef Newgarden. In Round 1, rookie pilot Vautier got up and over the curbing at Turn 2, then slammed into the outside wall to cause considerable damage to his No. 55 Schmidt Peterson Hamilton Honda. As for Newgarden, who was second in today’s first practice session, he was unable to qualify for Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing due to an engine change.
IZOD IndyCar Series – Sao Paulo Indy 300
Qualifying position, car number in parentheses, driver, chassis-engine, time and speed in parentheses
1. (1) Ryan Hunter-Reay, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.4312 (113.508)
2. (5) EJ Viso, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.7380 (113.077)
3. (10) Dario Franchitti, Dallara-Honda, 01:20.8922 (112.861)
4. (11) Tony Kanaan, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.9812 (112.737)
5. (27) James Hinchcliffe, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.9893 (112.726)
6. (9) Scott Dixon, Dallara-Honda, 01:21.1183 (112.547)
7. (7) Sebastien Bourdais, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.8210 (112.961)
8. (78) Simona de Silvestro, Dallara-Chevy, 01:20.9390 (112.796)
9. (19) Justin Wilson, Dallara-Honda, 01:21.0570 (112.632)
10. (25) Marco Andretti, Dallara-Chevy, 01:21.1716 (112.473)
11. (4) JR Hildebrand, Dallara-Chevy, 01:21.2961 (112.301)
12. (14) Takuma Sato, Dallara-Honda, 01:21.3618 (112.210)
13. (22) Oriol Servia, Dallara-Chevy, 01:21.7963 (111.614)
14. (20) Ed Carpenter, Dallara-Chevy, 01:24.0203 (108.659)
15. (98) Alex Tagliani, Dallara-Honda, 01:21.8636 (111.522)
16. (18) Ana Beatriz, Dallara-Honda, 01:24.8864 (107.551)
17. (83) Charlie Kimball, Dallara-Honda, 01:22.2482 (111.001)
18. (3) Helio Castroneves, Dallara-Chevy, 01:25.1734 (107.188)
19. (15) Graham Rahal, Dallara-Honda, 01:22.2998 (110.931)
20. (6) Sebastian Saavedra, Dallara-Chevy, 04:00.2612 (37.999)
21. (55) Tristan Vautier, Dallara-Honda, 03:20.5417 (45.525)
22. (12) Will Power, Dallara-Chevy, 04:05.5886 (37.174)
23. (67) Josef Newgarden, Dallara-Honda, No Time (No Speed)
24. (77) Simon Pagenaud, Dallara-Honda, 04:23.1097 (34.699)
25. (16) James Jakes, Dallara-Honda, No Time (No Speed)
Aug 1, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Brazilian driver confident that tracks such as Spa, Monza and the Circuit of the Americas will suit the FW36 car.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:15 AM EDT
The DeltaWing team makes new shop upgrades as it plans for the future.
Aug 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Sauber driver believes the sport would benefit from more running outside of a grand prix weekend.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:15 AM EDT
Mike Conway will make long-awaited Toyota debut in FIA WEC at Austin next race.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:45 AM EDT
Inside joke goes a bit too far for NASCAR ahead of truck race in Pocono this weekend.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:30 AM EDT
Force India owner confident of battling with Williams, Ferrari and McLaren until the end of the season.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
The Acura TLX-GT will make its debut at Mid-Ohio, later than planned but still on Honda’s home weekend.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:48 PM EDT
More analysis on Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s new crew chief, Greg Ives, took center stage on Thursday’s NASCAR AMERICA on NBCSN.
Jul 31, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Thursday’s NASCAR AMERICA lineup…
Jul 31, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
Malaysian FIA Formula E round moves from October to November to accommodate prime minister’s wishes.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
Ryan Hunter-Reay and Simon Pagenaud look to make headway on Team Penske teammates, while Chip Ganassi Racing seeks a six-pack of Mid-Ohio wins this weekend.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
Anthony Richardson bills himself as the Bad British Commentator, and it definitely shows through here with his malapropisms and complete lack of understanding of the sport and world of NASCAR.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
There may not be wholesale changes, based upon what NASCAR chairman Brian France said recently, but next year’s Sprint Cup schedule will look different. Based upon various sources and things we’ve heard and/or read, we’re going to chime in with our ideas and why we think that way.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
With six qualifying races left, a total of 10 more spots remain to be clinched to fill out the expanded 16-driver playoff field for this year’s 10-race Chase for the Sprint Cup.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:54 AM EDT
Legendary NASCAR driver Mark Martin is returning to Roush Fenway Racing. But don’t expect Martin, 55, to get back behind the wheel any time soon.
Jul 31, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
If you collect NASCAR memorabilia and someone approaches you in the coming days with a deal that seems too good to be true – especially if it involves merchandise related to either Dale Earnhardt Sr. or Dale Earnhardt Jr. – it probably is.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
Ferrari’s head of Engine and Electrics, Luca Marmorini, has left the team ahead of the second half of the season.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:59 AM EDT
NBCSN will present live coverage of the IndyCar Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio this Sunday at 3 p.m. ET, highlighting more than 30 hours of motorsports coverage across NBC and NBCSN this weekend.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:52 AM EDT
If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again. That’s the case for the new design of the Toyota Camry for the 2015 Sprint Cup season.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Ed Carpenter says he’d like to expand to two cars, but it remains to be seen if this can actually come to fruition.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Thursday round-up (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar: A crucial weekend to commence at Mid-Ohio 1
- Mark Martin returning to Roush Fenway Racing in unique role 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Wednesday Round-Up Includes Denny Hamlin Interview (VIDEO) 3
- Greg Ives to become crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season 12