May 4, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT
Steady rains at Talladega Superspeedway have scratched today’s Sprint Cup qualifying session for the Aaron’s 499. NASCAR made the call after every car had passed technical inspection prior to the session.
As a result, the teams will line up for tomorrow’s race according to speeds posted in the weekend’s first practice. That means Carl Edwards and Martin Truex Jr. will make up the front row; Edwards led that practice with a lap at 199.675 miles per hour in the No. 99 Roush Fenway Racing Ford. He will not receive Pole Award honors, but will start P1 for the first time since the 2012 Daytona 500.
Row 2 will feature Marcos Ambrose and Joey Logano, while Row 3 will be filled by Ryan Newman and Matt Kenseth. Denny Hamlin, who is expected to hand over his car to Brian Vickers during the first caution period as he continues to heal from the compression fracture in his back, starts seventh, with Jimmie Johnson, Jeff Gordon and Kasey Kahne completing the Top 10.
Elliott Sadler, driving a fourth Toyota for Joe Gibbs Racing, will be unable to make the field for the Cup race as a result of the cancellation.
The rains may also have an impact on whether or not today’s NASCAR Nationwide Series event at ‘Dega will be run. Bob Pockrass of The Sporting News has reported that, according to NNS director Wayne Auton, the Aaron’s 312 would be moved to Sunday after the Cup race if a rainout occurs. In addition, Sunday’s forecast for Talladega carries at least a 60 percent chance of rain.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52