May 4, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
Patrick started in Row 2 and went into the race as a potential threat for the win. But on Lap 14, she was spun out by drafting partner and rookie teammate Kyle Larson. She went into the wall and then down the track for a spin through the soggy grass below Turn 3, and shortly afterwards, she was forced to retire from the No. 34 Turner Scott Motorsports Chevrolet for a 39th-place result.
As for Pastrana, who earned his first career NASCAR pole for the race on Friday afternoon, he was running a steady race until Lap 71. While on the backstretch, Brian Scott turned around Reed Sorenson, who then went right into Pastrana as he attempted to avoid him.
The impact lifted Sorenson’s rear wheels off the ground momentarily before he came back down, while Pastrana shot up the track and smashed into the Turn 3 wall. Both of them finally came to rest inside the Turn 3 grass.
After being released from the infield care center, Pastrana was hard on himself. The action sports legend told ESPN that “[he] just [got] an award for being stupid” and predicted that on Monday, team owner Jack Roush would “say ‘You guys had the two fastest cars and you should’ve put them 1-2.’”
“And we doggone should have put ‘em 1-2,” a disgusted Pastrana added.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)