May 4, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
If Helio Castroneves (pictured) wants to maintain his IZOD IndyCar Series points lead and Will Power wants to snap his year-long win drought, they’ll both have to race from the back of the Sao Paulo Indy 300 grid to do it.
The Team Penske duo may have been the biggest losers in qualifying for tomorrow’s 75-lap event (11 a.m. ET, NBC Sports Network/NBC Sports Live Extra). Castroneves and Power had not yet posted a flying lap in their first round qualifying session and were caught out after James Jakes came to a stop on course with roughly three minutes remaining.
As Jakes emerged from his smoking car, so did the red flag — and the green flag never came back. Barring further alterations to the starting grid, Sao Paulo native Castroneves will start 18th tomorrow and Power will start 22nd.
The latter summed up the episode perfectly, calling it a “tough break.”
“It’s especially bad, because the Verizon car had been so quick all day,” said Power, who led both pre-qualifying practice sessions. “We felt pretty good going into the qualifying and unfortunately didn’t have time to run the lap we wanted after doing a lap on the [primary] blacks. Now we turn the focus to doing the best we can tomorrow and getting the most out of the points.”
Castroneves, who posted the fifth-fastest time in the combined practices, also vowed to forge ahead.
“I’m shocked about our result, but we never say never and will give it all we have tomorrow,” he said.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 7 p.m. ET recaps Talladega 0
- Remembering racing legend Raymond Beadle: ‘Once upon a time, I was the best at what I did’ 1
- Weekend wrap: Brad Keselowski rises up to Talladega challenge 0
- The irony of a winless driver winning a title in the new Chase still exists 1
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 3
- What will NASCAR fans do now that their favorite drivers are eliminated from Chase? 9
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10