May 4, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
If Helio Castroneves (pictured) wants to maintain his IZOD IndyCar Series points lead and Will Power wants to snap his year-long win drought, they’ll both have to race from the back of the Sao Paulo Indy 300 grid to do it.
The Team Penske duo may have been the biggest losers in qualifying for tomorrow’s 75-lap event (11 a.m. ET, NBC Sports Network/NBC Sports Live Extra). Castroneves and Power had not yet posted a flying lap in their first round qualifying session and were caught out after James Jakes came to a stop on course with roughly three minutes remaining.
As Jakes emerged from his smoking car, so did the red flag — and the green flag never came back. Barring further alterations to the starting grid, Sao Paulo native Castroneves will start 18th tomorrow and Power will start 22nd.
The latter summed up the episode perfectly, calling it a “tough break.”
“It’s especially bad, because the Verizon car had been so quick all day,” said Power, who led both pre-qualifying practice sessions. “We felt pretty good going into the qualifying and unfortunately didn’t have time to run the lap we wanted after doing a lap on the [primary] blacks. Now we turn the focus to doing the best we can tomorrow and getting the most out of the points.”
Castroneves, who posted the fifth-fastest time in the combined practices, also vowed to forge ahead.
“I’m shocked about our result, but we never say never and will give it all we have tomorrow,” he said.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14