May 4, 2013, 12:22 PM EST
Will Power is still leading the way in Sao Paulo after leading the last practice session before this afternoon’s qualifying session. The Australian turned in a lap of 1 minute, 20.9264 seconds to lead the session for Team Penske, narrowly beating the best from Andretti Autosport teammates Ryan Hunter-Reay (1 minute, 21.0022 seconds) and E.J. Viso (1 minute, 21.2222 seconds).
Scott Dixon was fourth-quickest for Target Chip Ganassi Racing at 1 minute, 21.2826 seconds, while Sao Paulo’s own Helio Castroneves was fifth in the session (1 minute, 21.2994). Dario Franchitti, James Hinchcliffe, Simona de Silvestro, Marco Andretti and Tony Kanaan rounded out the Top 10.
Multiple red flag periods gave a choppy feel to the second session. Among the incidents were those of Tristan Vautier, who sustained front-wing damage in an incident at Turn 5, and Kanaan, who appeared to lock up briefly before plowing through a tire barrier at Turn 2 with the right front of his machine (he eventually returned later in the session). Simon Pagenaud also ran into more issues after crashing in this morning’s first practice, as he came to a stop on the Sambadromo front stretch shortly after coming back out in his repaired Honda.
Qualifying for tomorrow’s Sao Paulo Indy 300 will go off today at 1:35 p.m. ET, with NBC Sports Network airing the session Sunday morning at 1 a.m. ET. Here are the two groups for qualifying, set by the times from the first practice:
78-Simona de Silvestro
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1