May 4, 2013, 12:22 PM EST
Will Power is still leading the way in Sao Paulo after leading the last practice session before this afternoon’s qualifying session. The Australian turned in a lap of 1 minute, 20.9264 seconds to lead the session for Team Penske, narrowly beating the best from Andretti Autosport teammates Ryan Hunter-Reay (1 minute, 21.0022 seconds) and E.J. Viso (1 minute, 21.2222 seconds).
Scott Dixon was fourth-quickest for Target Chip Ganassi Racing at 1 minute, 21.2826 seconds, while Sao Paulo’s own Helio Castroneves was fifth in the session (1 minute, 21.2994). Dario Franchitti, James Hinchcliffe, Simona de Silvestro, Marco Andretti and Tony Kanaan rounded out the Top 10.
Multiple red flag periods gave a choppy feel to the second session. Among the incidents were those of Tristan Vautier, who sustained front-wing damage in an incident at Turn 5, and Kanaan, who appeared to lock up briefly before plowing through a tire barrier at Turn 2 with the right front of his machine (he eventually returned later in the session). Simon Pagenaud also ran into more issues after crashing in this morning’s first practice, as he came to a stop on the Sambadromo front stretch shortly after coming back out in his repaired Honda.
Qualifying for tomorrow’s Sao Paulo Indy 300 will go off today at 1:35 p.m. ET, with NBC Sports Network airing the session Sunday morning at 1 a.m. ET. Here are the two groups for qualifying, set by the times from the first practice:
78-Simona de Silvestro
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 9
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)