May 5, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
1980 world champion Alan Jones has told fellow Australian Mark Webber to treat Sebastian Vettel as an enemy for the rest of the season.
Following the multi 21 fiasco at the Malaysian Grand Prix, the relationship between Webber and Vettel appears to be at an all-time low, but Jones has encouraged his compatriot not to simply roll over and accept his number two status.
“Seb has proved he can’t be trusted,” Jones told The Guardian. “From now on Mark must view him as just another enemy.
“If Seb didn’t like what was going on he shouldn’t have signed his agreement with Red Bull in the first place.”
The race in Malaysia saw Vettel overtake Webber against team orders, but Red Bull have not sanctioned their triple-champion driver. As a result, Webber is poised to leave the team at the end of the season, although Jones believes that he could yet win the world championship despite the 35 point gap to his teammate.
“The title will be won by the most consistent performer.
“We know that Mark is good enough, and has a good enough car, to perform consistently.”
The management at Red Bull appears to have made its stance perfectly clear over the matter, but should Webber heed Jones’ advice and treat his teammate more aggressively on track, the defending champions could end up losing out in both title races.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)