May 5, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
American driver Alexander Rossi is set to take part in practice for the Canadian Grand Prix next month as he continues his charge for a Formula One seat in the near future.
Rossi was due to represent Caterham in Bahrain, but the team opted to give Heikki Kovalainen the practice session instead in order to gauge the difference between the 2012 and 2013 cars. As a result, the team re-scheduled Rossi’s practice run-out, and he will now get his chance at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve next month.
“Obviously the weekends that I’m not doing GP2 I’ll be looking to be drive the F1 car in Friday practice sessions and that will start in Montreal,” Rossi explained to ESPNF1.
“Beyond that I’ll be doing at least one more, and possibly others, but it’s hard to say exactly what will happen because in F1 you never know for certain until you’re in the car. Whatever happens, the more time you can spend in an F1 car the better.”
Opportunities such as this are crucial for up-and-coming test drivers, and Rossi will be balancing his commitments with a GP2 campaign, to which he made an impressive start in Bahrain by finishing on the podium.
“I don’t see any reason why we can’t have a run at the championship this year and that’s what I’ve got to target.”
The change of plan does mean that Rossi will be running in front of many fans in Canada, with a large American contingency attending the race in Montreal. Many will be keen on seeing Rossi get some track time at the United States Grand Prix towards the end of the season as he looks to become the first full-time American F1 driver in over five years.
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0