May 5, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Marussia test driver Rodolfo Gonzalez is set to complete his second Formula One practice session at next weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix, deputizing for Max Chilton.
The Venezuelan driver first stepped into the MR-02 car at the Bahrain Grand Prix, where he replaced Jules Bianchi for free practice one. Despite finishing last, Gonzalez’s running was curtailed by a gearbox failure, and he finished within a second of Chilton which was a respectable result.
Running reserve drivers in free practice appears to be a popular tactic for many teams at the moment, with Caterham giving Heikki Kovalainen some track time in Bahrain. With in-season testing banned, this is the most efficient method of allowing testers to get on track. However, it may have a negative effect on the drivers who are forced to sit out. Earlier this week, Chilton spoke about the need to work with the new upgrades which will be brought to the race, yet it seems he will not benefit as greatly as he may have hoped.
For Gonzalez, the Spanish Grand Prix will present a second chance to impress the F1 fraternity, and he will undoubtedly be setting his sights on joining compatriot Pastor Maldonado on the grid in the near future.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: FP1 for the United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 2
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 4
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0