May 5, 2013, 7:00 AM EDT
Marussia test driver Rodolfo Gonzalez is set to complete his second Formula One practice session at next weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix, deputizing for Max Chilton.
The Venezuelan driver first stepped into the MR-02 car at the Bahrain Grand Prix, where he replaced Jules Bianchi for free practice one. Despite finishing last, Gonzalez’s running was curtailed by a gearbox failure, and he finished within a second of Chilton which was a respectable result.
Running reserve drivers in free practice appears to be a popular tactic for many teams at the moment, with Caterham giving Heikki Kovalainen some track time in Bahrain. With in-season testing banned, this is the most efficient method of allowing testers to get on track. However, it may have a negative effect on the drivers who are forced to sit out. Earlier this week, Chilton spoke about the need to work with the new upgrades which will be brought to the race, yet it seems he will not benefit as greatly as he may have hoped.
For Gonzalez, the Spanish Grand Prix will present a second chance to impress the F1 fraternity, and he will undoubtedly be setting his sights on joining compatriot Pastor Maldonado on the grid in the near future.
- As NHRA closes in on 100 wins by female racers, it all started with one of the greatest, Shirley Muldowney 0
- Brad Keselowski: Changes overdue to Sprint Cup schedule; offers his ideas 4
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 1
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)