May 5, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT
The confidence continues to grow for Marco Andretti, who is now the only IZOD IndyCar Series driver with Top-10 finishes in all four races this season after claiming a third-place result on Sunday at the Sao Paulo Indy 300.
Andretti, who often faltered on road and street courses in 2012, has done the opposite so far in 2013. His run to third in Brazil, which culminated with a last-lap pass of Josef Newgarden to get on the podium, has him believing that this year could be something special for him and his No. 25 RC Cola Andretti Autosport group.
“I think right now, we’re on par for a great season,” said Andretti, who sits second in the IndyCar championship behind Takuma Sato thanks to his early-season success. “[Road/street courses are] what used to be the tough part of the season for me. We’ve been getting some decent results where I used to struggle, so I’m pleased with that.”
With the Indianapolis 500 coming up, he appears to be coming on strong at the right time. Last year at Indy, the third-generation racer qualified fourth and led a race-high 59 laps but couldn’t stay up front in the second half and ended his day crashing with 12 laps to go.
There’s no doubt that he will be itching to erase that bad memory, one almost as gut-wrenching as when he lost the 2006 ‘500’ to Sam Hornish Jr. by six one-hundredths of a second. But while he’ll go all-out for victory at the Brickyard — he is, after all, an Andretti — he knows that there’s the championship to consider, too.
“We have some good momentum going, but we’ve always run well at Indianapolis,” he said. “Obviously, it’s a totally different ballgame being an oval. We just have to get a good race car there. If we can’t win, get another good result and keep the points going.”
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 0
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 5
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 16
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 6
- Ten with Townsend: Milwaukee and Iowa debrief 0
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 3