May 5, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Lotus driver Romain Grosjean believes that he is in a position to challenge for big results following a difficult start to the season.
The Frenchman has scored points in every race so far this year, and he claimed his first podium in 2013 last time out in Bahrain. Grosjean believes that this result is the turning point in his season, having taken time to get to grips with the Lotus E21 car.
“We’ve had consistency already, finishing every race in the points, but now it’s the big results we’re chasing and getting the car as I want it has been a vital ingredient,” Grosjean explained to the official Formula One website. “Now I have the tools that I want at my disposal I can really push. In some ways you can say my season starts now!”
Grosjean also underlined the importance of the team working closely together in order to challenge for both championships this season. In the constructors, Lotus currently sit P2, whilst Kimi Raikkonen is the closest challenger to drivers’ championship leader Sebastian Vettel.
“If we keep working the way we have been so far this season as a team I’m sure we can achieve great things.”
Qualifying has been Lotus’ achilles heel so far this season, but Grosjean is confident that a good result is possible at next weekend’s Spanish GP relying he can secure a good grid position.
“In Barcelona it will be important to qualify well as it will be much harder to overtake than in Bahrain. As a team, this is an area where we can still improve a little bit, but we have some ideas of how to do that and hopefully we’ll be able to make the front row.”
With four podiums now to his name, Grosjean will be expected by many to claim his first grand prix victory in 2013. If he can grace the top step of the podium, Lotus may be in a position to challenge Red Bull for the constructors’ championship.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 14
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2