May 6, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Pirelli will allocate an extra set of tires to all the teams in practice for the Spanish Grand Prix.
F1’s official tire supplier is bringing an experimental new hard tire for teams to run on Friday only during the Spanish Grand Prix weekend.
“It’s something we wanted to do to encourage all the teams to run as much as possible right from the start, especially with the rookie drivers, to give fans the spectacle they deserve to see,” said Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery.
Some practice sessions this year have seen limited running due to the limited life of the tires and restriction on number of tires available during a race weekend.
The supply of extra tires will not be limited to those who run a new driver during practice, as had previously been planned to give more testing opportunities to young racers.
Top teams bosses said during the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend they wanted the tires to be available to all teams regardless of whether they gave practice time to non-race drivers.
“It would be difficult to explain to the people that are in the grandstands that Mr X had an extra set of tires to run and Alonso, Hamilton or whatever it is, is not running because that extra set of tires is just for the rookies,” said Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 0
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2