May 6, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Pirelli will allocate an extra set of tires to all the teams in practice for the Spanish Grand Prix.
F1’s official tire supplier is bringing an experimental new hard tire for teams to run on Friday only during the Spanish Grand Prix weekend.
“It’s something we wanted to do to encourage all the teams to run as much as possible right from the start, especially with the rookie drivers, to give fans the spectacle they deserve to see,” said Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery.
Some practice sessions this year have seen limited running due to the limited life of the tires and restriction on number of tires available during a race weekend.
The supply of extra tires will not be limited to those who run a new driver during practice, as had previously been planned to give more testing opportunities to young racers.
Top teams bosses said during the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend they wanted the tires to be available to all teams regardless of whether they gave practice time to non-race drivers.
“It would be difficult to explain to the people that are in the grandstands that Mr X had an extra set of tires to run and Alonso, Hamilton or whatever it is, is not running because that extra set of tires is just for the rookies,” said Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali.
- James Hinchcliffe describes how inspired he was by Justin Wilson 0
- Watkins Glen, Baltimore stand out for Stefan Wilson’s favorite race memories of brother Justin 1
- Report: Derrick Walker reflects on IndyCar tenure and future 0
- Scott Dixon awarded $1 million for fourth championship at IndyCar banquet 1
- Hulkenberg extends contract with Force India for two more years 1
- Ten with Townsend: Sonoma and 2015 IndyCar debrief 2
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 1