May 6, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Audi and Ferrari swept to wins in the second round of the FIA World Endurance Championship in Spa-Francorchamps this weekend, in a race that serves as a tune-up for the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June.
Audi’s three R18 e-tron quattro hybrids took a 1-2-3 finish overall, led by the twice-defending Le Mans winning trio of Andre Lotterer (pictured at 2012 Le Mans 24 Hours), Benoit Treluyer and Marcel Fassler. Toyota premiered its new 2013-spec TS030 Hybrid, but the hybrid system failed on the No. 7 car. Meanwhile the debut of the 2013-spec car was explained further in an article by SPEED’s John Dagys.
In GTE Pro, where several ex-Formula One pilots have landed, Bruno Senna and Kamui Kobayashi again finished in the same order as they did in Silverstone. But while that was a win for Senna in his WEC debut, this time it was second and third behind Kobayashi’s teammate in the sister AF Corse Ferrari F458 Italia, driven by Italian ex-F1 drivers Gianmaria Bruni and Giancarlo Fisichella.
Senna switched to the No. 98 Aston Martin after winning in Silverstone in the No. 97 – the team added a fifth Vantage split between the GTE Pro and Am classes – and co-drove with Frederic Makowiecki and Rob Bell. Kobayashi resumed with co-driver Toni Vilander in AF Corse’s No. 71 Ferrari.
Pecom Racing (LMP2) and 8Star Motorsports (GTE Am) also took class victories. Mike Conway, who raced a Rahal Letterman Lanigan IndyCar in Long Beach, finished fifth in the LMP2 class.
The 90th anniversary of the 24 Hours of Le Mans occurs June 22-23.
- Jimmie Johnson likes new Chase format, but misses the one that brought him six championships 0
- Toro Rosso reveals STR10 ahead of Jerez test 1
- Long: Journey for Wendell Scott’s family ends with a kiss (VIDEO) 0
- Elliott, Lorenzen, White, Scott, and Weatherly enter NASCAR Hall of Fame (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR Media Tour Content Recap: All posts, one place 0
- Gridiron Challenge: NASCAR drivers take football stars for a spin (VIDEO) 1
- Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony headlines 6.5 hours of NASCAR on NBCSN 0