May 6, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
Defending IZOD IndyCar Series champion Ryan Hunter-Reay appeared to have a good chance of converting the Sao Paulo Indy 300 pole into his second win of the season. But the Andretti Autosport driver’s chances for victory in Brazil were done in around the middle stages of the vent by a flat tire on his No. 1 DHL/Sun Drop Chevrolet.
The American paced the first nine laps before Tony Kanaan took the lead from him in the Turn 11 hairpin. Hunter-Reay settled into second place until the first caution period, where he managed to win the race off pit road by beating Kanaan and Scott Dixon out of the pits. Lining up 10th for the subsequent restart, he quickly made his way back toward the front on the second stint and inherited the lead on Lap 34 during a green flag pit stop cycle.
Takuma Sato, however, managed to take the lead from Hunter-Reay on that very same lap before giving it back when he pitted under yellow at Lap 37. Hunter-Reay and Kanaan swapped the lead under green on Laps 44 and 45, but two laps later, the former was forced to come to pit road in order to get rid of his flat Firestone.
That cost Hunter-Reay key track position and after being forced to save fuel for the final stint of the race, he wound up 11th at the checkered flag — a result that he called “extremely disappointing.”
“[We] absolutely had the car to win,” he said. “Guys gave me a great, great car…the pit stops were awesome. [We] definitely needed to capitalize on this opportunity, but we got a flat tire about halfway through the race which pretty much sidelined us.
“We pit super early on the last stop, had to save fuel the remainder of the race. I was lifting halfway down the straightaway so…We were wounded and stayed that way.”
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 0
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 1
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 2