May 6, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Townsend Bell took some time during NBC Sports Network’s broadcast of the IZOD IndyCar Series race in Sao Paulo, Brazil to confirm he’ll be back in a car for the Indianapolis 500.
Bell will race as a teammate to JR Hildebrand at Panther Racing, with Oriol Servia an unofficial teammate as well in the Panther DRR Chevrolet. Bell’s entry will feature sponsorship from Sunoco and Dreamworks’ new animated film “Turbo,” which premieres in theaters July 17.
“It’s really exciting to be back with Panther,” Bell said. “I even wore my throwback uniform from when I was with Panther in 2004 [for the seat fitting]!”
Bell raced with Panther in 2004 and 2005 and made his Indianapolis 500 debut with Vision Racing in 2006. He has three top-10 finishes in six starts, with a best of fourth in 2009 (KV Racing Technology) and ninth last year for Schmidt Pelfrey Motorsports. His best start came with Schmidt in 2011, in fourth place.
One of the busiest men in racing this year, Bell is also serving as an analyst for Stadium Super Trucks coverage on the NBC Sports Network and racing a Ferrari F458 Italia for the West/Alex Job Racing/Boardwalk team in the American Le Mans Series’ GT class.
The move brings the number of confirmed cars to 32, with Buddy Rice expected in a third Schmidt car for 33, and five other drivers – Bryan Clauson, Buddy and Jaques Lazier, Jay Howard and Katherine Legge – reportedly in the frame for additional seats if teams have the ability to field extra cars and if they can scrounge together enough backing.
Expect one, possibly two of those five extras to actually materialize in a seat.
- New McLaren Honda livery revealed 1
- Q&A: IMS President Doug Boles heading into 2015 Month of May, 2016 planning 0
- Indiana native Bryan Clauson ready for special Indy 500 return 4
- On eve of 300th IndyCar start, Helio Castroneves eyes record-tying fourth Indy 500 win 3
- Alex Tagliani to drive 3rd AJ Foyt car in Indy 500, will pay tribute to Dan Gurney 3
- NHRA legend John Force turns 66, not slowing down any time soon 1
- Montoya fastest on opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice 2