May 6, 2013, 11:20 AM EDT
Five-times grand prix winner John Watson believes the feud between Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber at Red Bull will continues to cause problems at the team.
“The whole Malaysia thing has been swept under the carpet,” he told the BBC. I don’t know how long it can stay there.”
“I suspect we will still see ructions at races later in the year.”
Vettel and Webber’s most recent confrontation came at the Malaysia Grand Prix. But the pair first crossed swords before they became team mates.
Vettel versus Webber
Fuji, 2007 – Vettel, making his sixth start for Toro Rosso, crashes into the back of Webber while the pair are running second and third behind the safety car.
Istanbul, 2010 – Vettel moves across on Webber while overtaking him for the lead and the pair tangle. Vettel spins into retirement while Webber finishes third.
Silverstone, 2010 – Both drivers are given a single example of a new front wing but when Vettel’s fails in practice Webber’s wing is given to his team mate, who is ahead in the championship. The pair make slight contact at the start and Vettel drops backs with a puncture while Webber goes on to win.
Hungaroring, 2010 – Vettel drops behind Webber during a safety car period and is asked to hold up the queue behind him to benefit his team mate’s strategy. But he slows down too much and receives a penalty, allowing Webber to claim victory while Vettel finishes third.
Silverstone, 2011 – In the closing stages of the race Webber is told not to “hold position” behind Vettel but continues attacking his team mate for second place.
Interlagos, 2012 – Vettel, fighting for the championship, gets little co-operation from his team mate until Webber is repeatedly asked by the pit wall to let Vettel though.
Sepang, 2013 – Vettel urges his team to have Webber let him past early on but they refuse. Later he is told not to try to pass Webber but he ignores the order an overtakes his team mate to win.
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1