May 7, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
On Sunday, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time despite dominating in Talladega.
Kenseth led a race-high 142 of 192 laps in the rain-delayed, then green-white-checkered extended Aaron’s 499, but fell to eighth at the checkered flag thanks to a train of cars passing him after the final restart.
“Just thinking about our day, it’s encouraging but it’s also really frustrating,” Kenseth told the Associated Press. “I think we’ve led the most laps four or five times and I’m fortunate and thankful that we won two races. I just feel like there’s been a few that I’ve left on the table or we’ve left on the table, for whatever reason.
“Hopefully, we can keep the performance up and I can figure out the right things to do there at the end to keep my car in the right spot and we can collect some more wins.”
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 0
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3