May 7, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
A new partnership between IndyCar and Germany-based car care company SONAX has led to a special award that will be up for grabs during the doubleheader weekends at the Chevrolet Dual in Detroit (pictured, June 1-2), Honda Indy Toronto (July 13-14), and Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston (Oct. 5-6).
The “SONAX Perfect Finish Award” will pay $50,000 to the driver that wins both feature races during any of those three weekends. But should no one be able to win both races in those weekends, the prize will carry over to the next doubleheader. If no one sweeps at Detroit, the bonus will jump to $100,000 at Toronto, and if no one sweeps there, the bonus goes to $150,000 at Houston.
Talk from drivers and team owners has been generally mixed regarding the doubleheader format — some of it optimistic about providing a better fan experience, some of it critical about the increased demands it will place on teams. But a chance at a substantial bit of cold, hard cash ought to help.
SONAX is also planning to utilize show car and driver appearances at select Sam’s Club outlets starting at the Indianapolis 500, and also work with venues on creating “car corrals” during event weekends to draw in automotive enthusiasts and collectors.
The company is already involved in motorsports as an official supplier for Formula One champs Red Bull Racing, and its brand can also be spotted on the No. 20 Chevrolet of Ed Carpenter. Carpenter’s step-father and series founder Tony George (now a co-owner at Ed Carpenter Racing) holds their American distribution rights.
In addition to backing the doubleheader award, SONAX will now become the series’ “Official Automotive Detail Partner.”
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 0
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 4
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0