May 7, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Parity is a great word to describe how the first four IZOD IndyCar Series races of the year have played out. The on-track product IndyCar is putting out on road and street courses this year has offered up these numbers:
- Green flag margins of victory: 1.0982 (St. Petersburg), 0.6363 (Barber), 0.3463 (Brazil)
- 8 different podium finishers (Hinchcliffe, Castroneves, Andretti, Hunter-Reay, Dixon, Sato, Rahal, Wilson), 13 different drivers with at least one Firestone Fast Six appearance (Hunter-Reay, Viso, Hinchcliffe, Castroneves, Power, Dixon, Franchitti, Kimball, Kanaan, de Silvestro, Sato, Conway, Vautier)
- 8 different teams in the top 10 in points (Foyt, Andretti, Penske, Ganassi, Coyne, Panther DRR, KVRT, Schmidt Hamilton)
- 3 different race winners, 3 different polesitters, 4 different drivers with fastest race lap
- 15 of 25 full-season drivers with at least one top-5 finish (Hunter-Reay, Castroneves, Hildebrand, Dixon, Franchitti, Kanaan, Power, Sato, Rahal, Wilson, Servia, Andretti, Hinchcliffe, Newgarden, Kimball)
- 20 of 25 full-season drivers with at least one top-10 finish (same 15 plus Pagenaud, de Silvestro, Viso, Tagliani, Vautier)
- Most laps led: Sato 72, Hunter-Reay 70, Castroneves 67
- 71 points separates first (Sato, 136) from 20th (Bourdais, 65) in points. In 2012, that was 121 points after four races between Power (180) and Bourdais (59).
- Dario Franchitti is 15th and Will Power is 18th in points. Neither has won a race in a year (Power, Brazil 2012, Franchitti, Indy 500 2012).