May 8, 2013, 10:11 AM EDT
Lotus have suffered a blow to their championship hopes as technical director James Allison has left the team.
Nick Chester, previously the team’s engineering director, has been promoted in his place.
Team principal Eric Boullier confirmed the news today, saying: “Nick is well known to everyone at Enstone having been with the team for over twelve years.”
“He is already directly involved with this and next year’s cars, ensuring a smooth transition which has been underway for some time. It’s an illustration of the strength and breadth of talent at Enstone that we can draw on personnel of the caliber of Nick and it’s something of an Enstone tradition for new technical directors to be promoted from within.”
“He assumes his new position at a tremendously exciting time for the sport. The 2014 technical regulation changes present many challenges, while our current position of second place in both the constructors’ and drivers’ world championships mean we cannot lose sight of this year’s development battle.
“Nick really has his work cut out, but we know he is more than capable of handling the tasks ahead.”
“As a team and individually, we would all like to thank James Allison for his efforts during his three stints at Enstone and wish him all the best in his future endeavors,” Boullier added.
Allison is yet to confirm where he is moving to. Lotus are currently second in the constructors’ championship and driver Kimi Raikkonen is second in the drivers’ points.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 49
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2