May 8, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
Force India team owner Vijay Mallya says driver Paul di Resta has “matured” in his approach after equaling his best career finish in the Bahrain Grand Prix.
Di Resta’s fourth place is the team’s best result of the year so far.
“The performances of Paul Di Resta confirm just how much he has matured as a driver,” said Mallya. “He’s delivering consistently every week and we are reaping the rewards of all his hard work.”
“He suffered a difficult end to the 2012 season, but he’s shown great mental strength and determination to regroup over the winter and recapture his best form. He’s pushing the team on and demanding the best from everyone, which is what we need.”
Di Resta was outshone by former team mate Nico Hulkenberg at the end of last season, who led convincingly at the final race in Brazil while Di Resta crashed out in the closing stages.
He is leading new team mate Adrian Sutil by twenty points to six in the points standings at the moment after Sutil was involved in collisions in the last two races.
But Mallya believes Sutil was not responsible for the incidents: “Adrian Sutil has also shown his speed so far but the luck has not gone his way. The last two races have been very frustrating because he’s been the victim of other drivers’ mistakes.”
“Without these incidents he would surely have scored well in both China and Bahrain. His race pace in Bahrain was remarkable because he was one of the fastest cars on track.”
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Brad Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 12
- Renault’s Taffin: Fuel consumption could well be an issue in Singapore 1
- Jeff Gordon makes strong ‘Drive For Five’ start, also has high praise for Kyle Larson in Chase opener 2
- Keselowski surges between Harvick, Larson to win Chase opener at Chicagoland 0
- For 16 Sprint Cup drivers, the time is here: ready, set, Chase 0