May 9, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Tony Stewart is a notoriously slow starter in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series. But this year, “Smoke” has yet to ignite in a good way.
The Stewart Haas Racing co-owner enters Darlington just 22nd in the standings, 56 points outside the top 10 and with just one top-10 finish in the first 10 races of the season.
In the same interview he told the Indianapolis Star’s Curt Cavin that he supports Kurt Busch’s IndyCar test for Andretti Autosport at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Stewart conceded he needs to think about winning races to have a shot to make the Chase for the Sprint Cup.
“We’re going to need some help to get (to the Chase),” he admitted. “Some guys in front of us are going to have to have some bad luck. If I felt our cars were really good but we’d had back luck I’d feel a lot more confident right now. But we’re struggling to find what these cars want. We’ve got a lot of work ahead of us.”
Stewart isn’t alone in the “needs a top-10 finish” department. Others in the field with just one include Marcos Ambrose, Juan Pablo Montoya, Danica Patrick, Denny Hamlin, Talladega 1-2 finishers David Ragan and David Gilliland, and four drivers with underfunded teams (JJ Yeley, Michael Waltrip, Michael McDowell, Scott Speed).
Ricky Stenhouse Jr. has yet to score a top-10 finish this year but still ranks a respectable 16th in points for Roush Fenway Racing.
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 0
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 0
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- FIA WEC: Mark Webber preparing for possible wet WEC debut 1
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)