May 10, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Although IndyCar isn’t racing this weekend, some of the drivers who are entered for this year’s Indianapolis 500 are. Practice for the race begins on Saturday.
Ryan Briscoe and Townsend Bell will race in the American Le Mans Series event at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey, Calif. on Saturday.
Briscoe already has a class win (Sebring 12 Hours) and pole (Long Beach) in two starts for Level 5 Motorsports, where he will compete in the full season and at the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Briscoe rejoins the Chip Ganassi Racing squad for Indianapolis for the first time since 2005, in the No. 8 NTT Data Honda.
Also Thursday, Discovery Channel announced a MythBusters IndyCar special will air Wednesday, May 22, at 9 p.m. ET, featuring Briscoe at IMS.
Bell recaps his crazy last few weeks and the two most recent IndyCar races here, but his focus this weekend is on his GT class Ferrari F458 Italia for the West/Alex Job Racing/Boardwalk Ferrari team. Bell paced his class in the ALMS official test session Thursday, at a time of 1:23.802 in the Yokohama-shod No. 23 Ferrari around the 2.238-mile road course (pictured right, ALMS Photo).
“This is our first chance to try some things that I hadn’t been able to try so far,” Bell said. “The Ferrari is just a fantastic car out of the box, and it’s the third year of the 458. Development-wise, the guys have a really nice car and it’s a matter of adapting our brake, damper and tire partners to this platform, which we know is a winning one.”
Briscoe and Bell are expected to leave immediately after the race Saturday night to catch flights to Indianapolis, where their on-track preparations for the 500 will begin in earnest.
Katherine Legge, who raced in IndyCar in 2012, is also competing in Monterey this weekend, aboard the revolutionary DeltaWing prototype.
Video from NASCAR America
- Report: Grand jury now hearing testimony in Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case 2
- 2015 Sprint Cup rules to feature reduced testing, less horsepower 8
- COTA: A circuit to behold from the passenger’s seat 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Team Penske pushing for incredible season (VIDEO) 0
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1