May 10, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton is looking forward to FP3 tomorrow as he gets to grips with the upgrades for his Mercedes W04, with the first two practice sessions today giving him some mixed results.
Although the 2008 world champion said that he could feel a positive change, he was still not entirely pleased with how the car felt in the dry conditions of FP2.
“The team have done a great job to bring our upgrades here this weekend and whilst I could feel the impact immediately, it’s difficult to quantify how much of an improvement has been made at this early stage,” Hamilton said in a team statement. “After the first session this morning, I felt there was some good promise and the car was well-balanced but I was a little less happy in the different conditions this afternoon.
Like many, Hamilton was anticipating a late night in order to make sense of the data collected.
“We’ll keep working on it tonight and see if we can make tomorrow a little better.”
Team principal Ross Brawn was focusing on improving the long run pace of the W04, and particularly its tire management. In Bahrain, Nico Rosberg suffered from great degradation on his rear tires, causing him to drop to 9th come the checkered flag despite starting on pole.
“The car seems to be quite good on low fuel as we know,” Brawn said. “Tire degradation is going to be a key consideration over the weekend and we must remain focused to ensure that we get the best possible performance from the car in the race. That’s our priority.”
Mercedes will be chasing a third consecutive pole position in Spain this weekend, but they are yet to repeat their pre-season pace at the Circuit de Catalunya so far in practice.
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1