May 10, 2013, 3:00 PM EST
Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber are both pleased with their efforts in today’s practice for the Spanish Grand Prix, despite having lost most of the first session due to wet weather.
This lack of running made testing the new upgrades particularly difficult, but defending champion Vettel believes that this was not too great an issue due to the regulations.
“We have some new parts here but the days of big, big upgrades don’t really happen now with the regulations how they are,” Vettel explained in a team statement. “This afternoon was fairly conclusive, but this morning wasn’t really much good with the weather.”
Despite many drivers suffering from high wear on their Pirellis and Paul di Resta experiencing a tire failure, Vettel does not believe that the strategy taken will be too different to that of recent races.
“It’s hard to say much about the harder tire, I think the number of pit stops will be the same here in this race as at the last few.”
2010 race winner Mark Webber believes that the grand prix will be a tight one, and practice suggested that Ferrari would be challenging Red Bull in Spain this weekend.
“It looks reasonably tight,” Webber said. “We couldn’t have got more out of it today really, the weather made things a bit tricky, but it was a pretty good day overall.”
Red Bull will be pleased to have topped FP2 so resoundingly ahead of Ferrari, but Fernando Alonso’s home crowd could spur him on to challenge both Vettel and Webber during the race on Sunday. With one win apiece in Spain, the Red Bull duo will be keen on doubling their tallies as they look to seize the upper hand in both championships.
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0