May 11, 2013, 3:23 PM EST
Playing down talks of alternating the Spanish Grand Prix with the city of Valencia in 2014, Circuit de Catalunya general manager Salvador Servia says that his Barcelona track is already hard at work toward hosting the event themselves next season.
“We are working on next year; we have already published the ticket prices for 2014,” Servia told Reuters’ Keith Weir on Saturday. “We have done 23 years of Formula One and our objective is to do another 23 years.”
Fueled by the success and popularity of native son Fernando Alonso, Valencia’s street circuit staged a second Formula One event for the country: The European Grand Prix, from 2008 to 2012. But with Spain battling through an economic crisis, the decision was made last year to have both tracks alternate the country’s Grand Prix from 2013 onwards.
However, according to Autoweek, Valencia’s regional government has not yet decided whether to utilize its option to stage their home event next season.
Meanwhile, as the Valencia group tries to figure out their situation, Catalunya is relying this weekend on a healthy turnout of international fans — some of which, per Servia, are combining the race with a weekend holiday in either Barcelona or the nearby Spanish coast — to cancel out the effects of selling lower-priced tickets for locals.
“Last year we started selling overseas, targeting travel agencies and tour operators and we carried the same way this year,” Servia told Reuters. “We have sold quite a lot in England, Germany and France.”
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0