May 11, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
The importance of leading the opening day of Indianapolis 500 practice can be debated, but nonetheless, Ed Carpenter came away with bragging rights after topping the charts with a lap of 220.970 miles per hour in the No. 20 Ed Carpenter Racing Chevrolet.
“I felt like we were going to be strong coming in because we’ve learned a lot since we were here last year and the team’s worked really hard,” Carpenter said.
“You always have confidence when you win races so it was good to finish last year with a win [at Auto Club Speedway]. It did a lot for the team, giving the whole team motivation to keep pushing over the off-season. Hopefully, we can continue having a good month and be there when it counts.”
“…From where we were last May to where we were last September, we learned a whole lot about this new car, so you kind of apply the little we did right last year [at Indy] with a lot of the things that we learned over the course of the rest of last season and the off-season. You just try to come in with what you think will be best, whether that’s what you had here last year or if it’s something new altogether.”
Josef Newgarden was second-quickest in his backup No. 21T Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing Honda at 220.920 miles per hour. After passing his Rookie Orientation Program, Andretti Autosport’s Carlos Munoz managed to climb to P3 with a lap of 220.720 miles per hour. In fourth was Charlie Kimball in his No. 83T (220.633 mph), and Alex Tagliani rounded out the Top 5 speeds in his No. 98 (220.248 mph).
- McLaren to get Honda engine upgrade for Spa, post-summer break 0
- DiZinno: Mid-Ohio a dream weekend for Rahal, IndyCar, fans 0
- Dates for 2016 IndyCar schedule starting to come together 12
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 6
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 1
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 4
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 14