May 11, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Felipe Massa has revealed his disappointment with his qualifying performance, having expected to qualify higher than 6th.
“For sure I expected a little bit more,” Massa said in an interview with Adam Cooper. “I definitely expected to be fighting for the top three, looking that I was first this morning, the car was good this morning.”
This morning, Massa finished quickest in final practice but he could not repeat this form in qualifying. Having just made it through to Q3 on a single run, the Brazilian driver struggled in the last session. He does believe that the other cars were holding back during final practice, hence why he could not match their pace.
“The others improved a lot, so I’m sure they were a little bit too conservative this morning, and they were preparing everything for the qualifying.”
Massa was unsurprised by Mercedes’ good pace, with Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton locking out the front row for the German marque.
“I knew Mercedes would have been strong here, because they were very strong in the winter. It’s a track they can be very strong in the qualifying, but in the race, I don’t know – maybe a bit less.”
Ferrari will be disappointed to have finished so far behind Mercedes, but if they can perfect their race strategy, Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa could yet finish on the podium in Barcelona tomorrow.
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 7
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)