May 11, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Felipe Massa has revealed his disappointment with his qualifying performance, having expected to qualify higher than 6th.
“For sure I expected a little bit more,” Massa said in an interview with Adam Cooper. “I definitely expected to be fighting for the top three, looking that I was first this morning, the car was good this morning.”
This morning, Massa finished quickest in final practice but he could not repeat this form in qualifying. Having just made it through to Q3 on a single run, the Brazilian driver struggled in the last session. He does believe that the other cars were holding back during final practice, hence why he could not match their pace.
“The others improved a lot, so I’m sure they were a little bit too conservative this morning, and they were preparing everything for the qualifying.”
Massa was unsurprised by Mercedes’ good pace, with Nico Rosberg and Lewis Hamilton locking out the front row for the German marque.
“I knew Mercedes would have been strong here, because they were very strong in the winter. It’s a track they can be very strong in the qualifying, but in the race, I don’t know – maybe a bit less.”
Ferrari will be disappointed to have finished so far behind Mercedes, but if they can perfect their race strategy, Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa could yet finish on the podium in Barcelona tomorrow.
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 1
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 2
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1