May 11, 2013, 6:14 AM EDT
Felipe Massa has finished quickest in final practice for the Spanish Grand Prix, edging out former Ferrari teammate Kimi Raikkonen by a very small margin.
Massa, who won the race at the Circuit de Catalunya back in 2007, put in a quick time late on to go fastest, with the rest of the field unable to respond to his lap of 1:21.901. Raikkonen finished just 0.006 seconds behind the Brazilian driver, and Lotus will be delighted with its one-lap pace which has evidently made a step forward since the Bahrain Grand Prix.
Lotus’ good form was underlined by Romain Grosjean, who bounced back from a disappointing showing on Friday to finish 4th between the two Red Bull drivers. Mark Webber, who won the race back in 2010, managed to complete the top three, and he will be delighted to have edged out his teammate, Sebastian Vettel, in 5th. Despite leading mid-way through the session, Fernando Alonso could only finish P6 in front of his home fans.
FP3 saw Force India continue its good form, with Paul di Resta and Adrian Sutil finish 7th and 8th respectively, ahead of Lewis Hamilton for Mercedes. Jean-Eric Vergne completed the top ten for Toro Rosso, ahead of Nico Rosberg; Mercedes do not appear to have the one-lap pace that has seen them claim the last two pole positions this weekend.
For McLaren, Williams and Sauber, it was another quiet session, and all three teams will be keen on making an improvement during qualifying given the work that has gone into the new upgrades. At the back, Caterham and Marussia continued their tight battle, with Charles Pic finishing 0.018 seconds ahead of Jules Bianchi.
Once again, practice has suggested that qualifying will be an incredibly tight affair later today, with Red Bull, Ferrari and Lotus all vying for pole position.
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 0
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)