May 11, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Esteban Gutierrez and Felipe Massa have both been handed three place grid penalties for blocking during qualifying for the Spanish Grand Prix today.
Gutierrez was found to have compromised Kimi Raikkonen‘s flying lap during Q1, and although the Finn still managed to make it into Q2 with ease, the Sauber driver is thought to have been able to avoid the Lotus on track. This marks Gutierrez’s third grid penalty in five races, following a gearbox change in Australia and a penalty in Bahrain for causing an incident at the Chinese Grand Prix.
For Massa, this penalty sees him drop down to P9 on the grid, making his job even harder in the race tomorrow. The Brazilian driver held up Mark Webber during the second qualifying session, provoking a muffled radio response from the Red Bull driver protesting the move.
The stewards were expected to have a busy evening ahead of them following the session, and these penalties are hard to dispute following the TV footage made available. Escaping a penalty is Williams, with one of its drivers coming under fire from Jenson Button during Q1.
Following Massa’s penalty, Romain Grosjean, Mark Webber and Sergio Perez will all move on place up on the grid, leaving Massa on the 5th row alongside Paul di Resta. Gutierrez will drop to P19 on the grid, behind Williams’ Valtteri Bottas and Pastor Maldonado, and Caterham’s Giedo van der Garde who will be delighted to start 18th tomorrow.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 4
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 3
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 11
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 4
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0