May 11, 2013, 9:46 PM EST
For the first time since losing her right eye and almost her life in a testing accident last summer, Spanish driver Maria de Villota visited the Formula One paddock at the Spanish Grand Prix in Barcelona.
De Villota was anxious to make her return, telling the Associated Press that she couldn’t sleep the night before because she wondered how it would make her feel. Upon going through the paddock, she got to speak with fellow Spaniard Fernando Alonso and McLaren’s Sergio Perez, but she encountered multiple emotions as well.
“It’s a mix of adrenaline and also a little bit of sadness,” she told the AP’s Jerome Pugmire at the Circuit de Catalunya. “It’s a great weekend but on the other hand it’s also not easy. But I think I’m going to enjoy [the race] on Sunday.”
On July 3, 2012, De Villota suffered extensive head and facial injuries after crashing a Marussia machine into a support truck during straight-line testing at Duxford Aerodrome in England. She underwent multiple surgeries and doctors continue to keep tabs on her progress.
However, even though her F1 career was cut short, De Villota continues to look toward the bright side.
“When you realize you have a second chance in life, you don’t have any other way to live it than with a big smile in your face,” said De Villota, who still considers motorsports as her “escape.”
According to the AP, De Villota is currently focusing on raising funds for the Ana Carolina Diez Mahou Foundation, which serves children stricken with mitochondrial and neuromuscular diseases.
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 7
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 8
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 21
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2
- Kyle Busch says Toyota teams are “idiots” by not working close together 20
- Brian France: State of NASCAR is in a good place and getting better 6