May 11, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
Pirelli is reportedly considering a change in its tire design following a difficult set of practice sessions at the Spanish Grand Prix.
Paul di Resta suffered a heavy tire failure during FP2 which was investigated by Pirelli, and although they have put this down to debris on the track, it would appear that further concerns have been raised.
Pirelli’s F1 chief, Paul Hembery, has said that although the the tires are still safe to use, the frequency of failures does not aid the corporate image.
“We would like to find a way of changing that because it doesn’t look very good from an image point of view,” Hembery told Press Association.
“We would have to look at changing some parts of the structure, which is something we can do.”
However, Hembery said that any changes would have an impact on the teams, who would have to deal with the new tire design.
“We would need to balance that with what impact it might have on the teams because they have a lot of data that’s based on this year’s structure which influences aerodynamics.
“Also there is a lack of testing. Some of the solutions we might need would need some more extensive testing, so we are caught in between a bit of a rock and a hard place.
“But we do take these things seriously. We’re looking at it to see if we can change this mode of failure, the visibility of it and turn it into something that is less dramatic from a visual point of view.”
It appears that Pirelli may have finally bowed to pressure from the teams and fans to make a change to its tire design, which will please Red Bull in particular following their vocality over the matter.
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 0
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 1
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0