May 12, 2013, 10:45 AM EST
Fernando Alonso has spoken of how the extra support at his home race has made today’s Spanish Grand Prix victory extra special.
The Spanish driver stormed to his second win at the Circuit de Catalunya in front of his home fans, and he made it clear how important this support was to him.
“It definitely was a fantastic emotion, they really helped because you feel the support from everybody,” he said on the podium after the race. “We want to do well here in front of our fans, in front of so many people supporting Ferrari so we did it.
However, Alonso was adamant that Ferrari could not rest on their laurels, and must keep pushing if they are to challenge for the championship in 2013.
“We’re happy for that but we don’t want to stop here, obviously.
“Nothing really changes; we know that we have had five races only, some ups and downs. We know that we have the car to fight at the top, and if we do well we can fight for the championship. If we don’t do good enough, maybe we don’t fight, but we want to do so.”This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Ferrari will be delighted with the result as Alonso has cut the gap to Vettel to 17 points at the front, and the win will re-ignite hopes of winning both championships following a disastrous showing last time out in Bahrain. Quite whether they can continue this form at the Monaco Grand Prix in two weeks’ time remains to be seen, but for now, all of those at Maranello will be delighted with the win.
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)