May 12, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has called on Mercedes to up their game following a disastrous Spanish Grand Prix on Sunday.
The British driver finished 12th after starting 2nd at the Circuit de Catalunya, and he struggled to hold other drivers back thanks to the high tire wear that Mercedes experienced during the race. His teammate, Nico Rosberg, also failed to perform despite starting on pole position, eventually finishing 6th.
“It was way too tough,” he told the BBC. “We have got a lot of work to do.
“We both went backwards, but I went back a long, long way and I don’t know why. We will keep going back to the drawing board and see what we can do.”
Mercedes had been looking to remedy its tire woes over the three week break following the Bahrain Grand Prix, and many believed that the team could finally secure its first win in 2013 after locking out the front row in qualifying yesterday. Hamilton still has faith in the team despite now trailing championship leader Sebastian Vettel by 39 points.
“The team are fantastic and the work they have been doing is terrific we have just got a lot to do to catch up with the others but we will get there.”
The result was certainly a disastrous one for Mercedes, marking the first time since 1996 that the Spanish Grand Prix was not won by a driver starting in the top two. The team will be keen on fixing the issue for the Monaco Grand Prix, but they will have a race against time if they are to grace the top step of the podium at F1’s glamor event.
- Audi boss Ullrich laughs off continual F1 rumors 0
- MotorSportsTalk’s IndyCar championship pre-Sunday post round-up 0
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 2
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1