May 12, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton has called on Mercedes to up their game following a disastrous Spanish Grand Prix on Sunday.
The British driver finished 12th after starting 2nd at the Circuit de Catalunya, and he struggled to hold other drivers back thanks to the high tire wear that Mercedes experienced during the race. His teammate, Nico Rosberg, also failed to perform despite starting on pole position, eventually finishing 6th.
“It was way too tough,” he told the BBC. “We have got a lot of work to do.
“We both went backwards, but I went back a long, long way and I don’t know why. We will keep going back to the drawing board and see what we can do.”
Mercedes had been looking to remedy its tire woes over the three week break following the Bahrain Grand Prix, and many believed that the team could finally secure its first win in 2013 after locking out the front row in qualifying yesterday. Hamilton still has faith in the team despite now trailing championship leader Sebastian Vettel by 39 points.
“The team are fantastic and the work they have been doing is terrific we have just got a lot to do to catch up with the others but we will get there.”
The result was certainly a disastrous one for Mercedes, marking the first time since 1996 that the Spanish Grand Prix was not won by a driver starting in the top two. The team will be keen on fixing the issue for the Monaco Grand Prix, but they will have a race against time if they are to grace the top step of the podium at F1’s glamor event.
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3