May 12, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
McLaren driver Jenson Button has admitted that he is embarrassed by the lack of pace the team has this season in light of the great support he receives from the fans.
Button finished the Spanish Grand Prix in 8th, which he conceded was not too bad considering he had dropped to P17 at the end of the first lap.
“For me it was an interesting race my start wasn’t very strong which was unusual because we are usually strong at the start,” Button told the BBC.
“Turn one was a mess so to finish 8th probably wasn’t too bad but there is a lot of work still to do. Some of the speeds cars were going past me means we have got as lot to do.”
Button did manage to fight back to finish in the points, crossing the line just ahead of teammate Sergio Perez, and the 2009 world champion is confident that McLaren can turn their fortunes around.
“It is still possible for us to still get up there and I want to thank all the fans for their support, it’s a bit embarrassing really to see them all but we will get it right.”
During the race, Button passed Lewis Hamilton for 11th place, which summed up how far back both drivers are compared to their 2012 pace. With these upgrades failing to provide McLaren with a great increase in performance, questions will be asked of the British team heading into the Monaco Grand Prix in two weeks’ time.
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 0
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)