May 12, 2013, 10:43 PM EDT
Panther Racing has been runner-up at the Indianapolis 500 in four of the last five years, but the two-time IZOD IndyCar Series champions are hoping that a “super” change to its No. 4 National Guard Chevrolet will help them finally break through at the Brickyard.
As the National Guard teams up with Warner Bros.’ upcoming Superman flick Man of Steel to create the “Soldier of Steel” recruiting campaign, J.R. Hildebrand’s machine has swapped its traditional ACU camo for a dark blue hue. In addition, the famous “S” shield has been placed on the nose and the likeness of actor Henry Cavill in full Superman costume adorns the side pods.
“There’s a pretty seamless connection between these [National Guard] soldiers and Superman; they’re both just ordinary citizens serving their community,” said Hildebrand in a release. “So for us being able to compete in an iconic event like the Indianapolis 500 in Superman colors is just another way to highlight all the unbelievable things the National Guard does for this country.
“For us, the soldiers have always been the real superheroes.”
Insurance company GEICO is on board with Tony Kanaan and KV Racing Technology for this month’s “500.” It marks the sixth consecutive year that the company will be backing a KVRT machine.
“KVRT and GEICO have worked closely together over the past six years and we’re excited to have them back again this year,” team co-owner Jimmy Vasser said in a statement. “This gives us the opportunity to maintain a relationship that is extremely important to us as a team.”
So far, Hydroxycut and Itaipava beer have served as main sponsors on Kanaan’s No. 11 Chevrolet this season. However, at the most recent IZOD IndyCar Series race in Brazil, Vasser told writer Marshall Pruett that he was looking for more sponsors to back the former series champion during the summer portion of the schedule.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 12
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 5
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 47
- Kyle Busch outduels Joey Logano for Nationwide win in Dover 2